What are the admission requirements for this program?
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- GPA of 3.0
- Official transcripts from each institution attended
- Two letters of recommendation from professors, instructors, or persons with whom you have worked in a professional capacity.
- A statement of professional purpose, which should include a meaningful discussion of what you hope to accomplish with an M.S. in Library and Information Science from St. John's.
- An interview with the program director may be required.
- Students having a GPA below 3.0 may receive a conditional acceptance, depending on work experience.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for applicants whose native language is not English.
How long will the program take to complete?
The M.S.L.I.S. program can be completed in as little as 24 months.
Is there a campus residency requirement?
No. The degree is fully online, with no residency requirement or campus visits required.
What is the cost of tuition for the program?
Program tuition for the current academic year is $1,285 per credit hour.
Is the program accredited?
Yes. St. John’s University is accredited by the Middle States Commission of Higher Education Accreditation. The M.S.L.I.S. program is accredited by the American Library Association. St. John’s is one of only seven institutions on the east coast that offers an ALA-accredited 100% online program.
What will I learn in the program?
Upon program completion, students will have a mastery of the eight program goals based on the ALA’s Core Competencies of Librarianship. Students will:
- Develop an understanding of the foundations of the profession
- Develop an understanding of information resources
- Demonstrate ability to organize recorded knowledge and information
- Apply technological knowledge and skills to practice
- Apply reference and user services
- Master research methods
- Experience continuing education and lifelong learning
- Apply key concepts of administration and management
What differentiates this program from others?
The M.S.L.I.S. program at St. John’s is distinguished by its:
- E-portfolio aligned with ALA core competencies that enables students to gain practical knowledge and showcase their work to potential employers.
- Mentoring program that helps students network and understand educational and career opportunities.
- The O’Connell Scholarship, awarded for academic merit based on GPA.
- A strong alumni network committed to your success.
- Unique concentration options that allow you to tailor your learning to your career goals.
Are there set times to attend my classes?
No. You will have specific assignment deadlines and test dates, but you can complete your online coursework at times that are convenient for you.
If you have further questions about the program, please call us at 844-393-1677 or Request More Information.