Request More Information
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Resume or C.V.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors, instructors, or persons with whom you have worked in a professional capacity.
- A statement of professional purpose, which should include a meaningful discussion of what you hope to accomplish with an M.S. in Library and Information Science from St. John’s.
- Official TOEFL, IELTS or DUOLINGO scores are required for applicants whose native language is not English.
- All students who have attended an international university or whose academic records are in a language other than English, and not accredited by the United States, must submit a foreign credential evaluation. Please refer to www.naces.org for a listing of credential evaluating agencies from which we can accept course by course evaluations. The evaluations must contain US grade and credit equivalents.
The M.S.L.I.S. program can be completed in as little as 24 months.
No. The M.S.L.I.S degree is fully online, with no residency requirement or campus visits required.
M.S.L.I.S. program tuition for the current academic year is $1,400 per credit hour.
For financial assistance, visit our Financial Aid page. Scholarships are available.
Yes. St. John’s University is accredited by the Middle States Commission of Higher Education Accreditation. The M.S.L.I.S. program is accredited by the American Library Association. St. John’s is one of only seven institutions on the east coast that offers an ALA-accredited 100% online program.
Upon program completion, students will have a mastery of the eight program goals based on the ALA’s Core Competencies of Librarianship. Students will:
- Develop an understanding of the foundations of the profession
- Develop an understanding of information resources
- Demonstrate ability to organize recorded knowledge and information
- Apply technological knowledge and skills to practice
- Apply reference and user services
- Master research methods
- Experience continuing education and lifelong learning
- Apply key concepts of administration and management
The M.S.L.I.S. program at St. John’s is distinguished by its:
- E-portfolio aligned with ALA core competencies that enables students to gain practical knowledge and showcase their work to potential employers.
- Mentoring program that helps students network and understand educational and career opportunities.
- The O’Connell Scholarship, awarded for academic merit based on GPA.
- A strong alumni network committed to your success.
- Unique concentration options that allow you to tailor your learning to your career goals.
No. You will have specific assignment deadlines and test dates, but you can complete your online coursework at times that are convenient for you.
You can start your application online or visit the Admission page for a list of the materials you will need to submit for application.
If you have further questions about the program, please call us at 844-393-1677 or Request More Information.