Online Ph.D. in Literacy FAQs
Request More Information
- Master’s degree in any field.
- GPA. of 3.2 or higher.
- Resume or C.V.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for applicants whose native language is not English.
- Research background and goals for doctoral study/future career.
- All official transcripts from undergraduate and graduate studies.
The Ph.D. in Literacy program can be completed in just 3-4 years.
No. The Ph.D. in Literacy degree is fully online, with no residency requirement or campus visits required.
Ph.D. in Literacy program tuition for the current academic year is $1,265 per credit hour.
Learn more about tuition and fees by visiting our Tuition page.
Yes. The Ph.D. in Literacy program is accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC).
This program will:
- Broaden and increase your depth of knowledge on literacy for all learners, including diverse and at-risk populations
- Develop you into a literacy educator who sees diversity as an advantage
- Equip you with forward-thinking perspectives on literacy research, theory, practice, and evaluation
- Instill an advanced capacity to conduct research and inquiry
The online Ph.D. in Literacy from St. John’s stands apart for its:
- Curriculum focused on addressing the at-risk population
- Quick time of completion (3 to 4 years, vs. 3 to 6 years for many programs)
- Choice of a cognate in TESOL or Literacy
- Full-time faculty committed to student success via teaching and advising
No. You will have specific assignment deadlines and test dates, but you can complete your online coursework at times that are convenient for you.